Easy Crock Pot BBQ Chicken Drumsticks

While I was home, we had a little picnic on our lawn with some family friends and picked up a couple buckets of chicken from KFC to eat.  Our friend’s little boy, Jake, is eight and I think he scored every single drumstick.  Lucky boy! I remember my brothers and I fighting to the death for the last drumstick.  Why is it kids love the drumsticks?

Anyways, Jake’s mom shared her method of cooking bbq chicken drumsticks in the crock pot.  They’re easy, healthier, and everyone gets drumsticks!

I’m such a sucker for EASY meals so I gave it a whirl the other night.  I used thawed chicken drumsticks but you can also just buy a bag of frozen ones.  To reduce the fat I cut the skin off of the drumsticks I used, but you can also brown the chicken first to help reduce fat (if using thawed chicken).   Or you can just leave the skin alone and toss them in the crock pot as is.

They are delicious as well as messy, so have your napkins ready!

Crock Pot BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
Ingredients
  1. 6-8 chicken drumsticks (thawed or frozen)
  2. 1 bottle of your favorite BBQ Sauce (I used Sweet Baby Rays Original)
Instructions
  1. Place chicken in crock pot and pour about a cup of BBQ sauce over the chicken. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours if using thawed chicken, and 4-6 hours if using frozen.
  2. Remove chicken from crock pot and place in a large bowl. If desired, toss with just a little more BBQ sauce to evenly coat the drumsticks.
Notes
  1. **You can use as much or as little BBQ sauce depending on how "saucy" you want your chicken to be or the amount of chicken your are using.
Adapted from Patti Meuter
Adapted from Patti Meuter
Sweet Treats & More http://sweettreatsmore.com/

Comments

• Sharala says

I’ve been doing BBQ chicken in the CP for many years. This is chicken AND baked potatoes, all cooked in a cool kitchen while you play in the sun, or take a nap in the shade. :-) Serves 4-6

1 whole chicken
      4-8 potatoes, depending on size
      BBQ sauce of choice

Wash and dry the chicken inside and out. Cut up the onion and put half inside the chicken, along with 1/2 cup BBQ sauce. Mush that around.

Wash and dry the potatoes. Do not peel. They can be baking or red potatoes or whatever you have. Place all potatoes on bottom of crockpot evenly spread out. Sprinkle the rest of the onion among them.

Place the whole chicken on top of the potatoes. Pour 1/2 C (or more) of the BBQ sauce over the chicken. Spread it around.

Cook on low 8 hours or high 4 hours. Here is your whole lunch or dinner, if you make some coleslaw and chill it while chicken cooking.

COLE SLAW

1 bag of coleslaw mix
      1 can of diced pineapple with juice
      1 cup of flavored yogurt of your choice (I use light, sometimes blueberry or peach, whatever)

Mix all ingredients together with a little salt and pepper. Chill at least one hour.

Enjoy!

1. Anonymous says

I made these tonight and they were DELICIOUS!! so easy too. I also used Sweet Baby Rays Original. I added some cayenne pepper and Sriracha hot sauce because we love to make everything spicy, along with some garlic powder. Thanks for the recipe!

2. says

You can also add a bit of chicken broth if you’re worried it will burn – not a lot, maybe a quarter cup. Just enough to give it extra moisture so the sauce doesn’t dry up. You can add some diced onion, too, that will add moisture and flavor the sauce.

3. Cindi says

I was taught by my mother to use a dry papertowel – grab the skin at the thick end and pull down with skin in papertowel towards thin end. Works everytime

4. Anonymous says

Can u put them in over night on warm? Then when i get up (7:00) put them on high tell 5:00 thats when i get home well that work.

5. Anonymous says

My wife takes the skin off all our chicken. I once asked here to put some back on because I like it sometimes. She said she couldn’t do it. Hope this helps.��

6. Anonymous says

Trying this receipe today for a get together tonight, 25 drumbsticks, added 4 diced green onion and 1/3 cup of chicken broth, using I bottjle of Jack Daniel’s original barbecue sauce and a bottle of regular kraft brand. Thought I would mix it up, hopefully it turns out ok

7. says

Im cooking this right now!! Lol it smells and looks amazing! Im going to put pineapple chunks n litte spicy twords end! And we will have good dinner tonight! Potato salad and chips!! :)

8. Laci says

I’m making these right now. I did my own thing then double checked this recipe to make sure I was doing something right. Maybe I’ll come back and let you know how mine come out. I seasoned my drumsticks very well, almost a dry rub… Added fresh garlic…. Them topped with a bit Caribbean jerk sauce. I just put them on low because I usually cook everything on low but I think I’m gonna bump them up to high! Thanks for all the tips

9. Kelly says

Are you it is safe on high for 6hours wouldn’t it burn should it be on low? You done this before so I’m just asking, because Imcooked. Roast on high and it burn in the crock pot n high.

• Barbara says

I’m making them for my son and his wife. They are coming home tonight from Ireland and this will be waiting for them to snack on when they get in. I’ve never tried it. Hope they are good.

10. Candra says

I’m planning on making these this week. I’m wondering, I work 8am-4:30pm I was wondering, does anyone think I could leave the BBQ chicken in the crockpot on low for 9 1/2 hours while I’m at work?

• Jodi Miller says

Did you try it yet for 9 1/2 hours? I’m planning on trying it tomorrow but it would need to be in the crockpot for about 10 hours. I’ve never had problems with anything else for that long.

11. Allyson says

I used to make these in college all the time and use a bottle of Asian Zing sauce from Buffalo Wild Wings, but I went an extra step and put the drumsticks out on a tin-foiled cookie sheet and broiled them in the oven for a couple minutes on each side to thicken up the sauce and get a good caramelization started. They always disappeared instantly when I pulled on a plate them to serve them. Wings and thighs work for this, too, but they are more prone to falling off the bone in the crock pot, from my experience.

Trackbacks