Sinfully Rich Brownies (shhh…from a box mix)

I have no problems using box mixes.  There, I said it.  They are my go to when I need a quick dessert.  Or when my intended dessert fails miserably and I need something FAST!  Like recently, when I spent two hours making cookies that sadly only made it to the garbage can.  All two dozen cookies.  They were terrible.

Suddenly, I was scrambling for a dessert and it had to be something quick.

Then I stumbled upon a recipe from one of the cookbooks my mother-in-law gave me when Brett and I got married.  It’s a collection of recipes women from her church put together:  “Sinfully Rich Brownies….a chocolate lover’s dream.”  And they were from a box.  These were my ticket!

I’m sure if you were to google “how to spruce up a box brownie” you’d find a similar recipe in the mix of results.

All you need to do is change out the water the box recipe calls for with milk or whipping cream (I chose whipping cream), double the number of eggs the box calls for, then add a splash of vanilla and some chocolate chips and you’ve got some seriously rich and decadent brownies.

No one will know they were from a box!

Sinfully Rich Brownies
Ingredients
  1. 1 family-size pkg brownie mix
  2. double the number of eggs called for on box.
  3. Milk and or cream in place of water
  4. oil called for on pkg mix
  5. 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  6. 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips (I used half milk chocolate chips, half white chocolate chips)
  7. Chopped pecans (optional)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 325.
  2. Mix ingredients in the order listed (you still use the oil recipe calls for). Mixture will be thick.
  3. Grease a 9X13 in pan well, then press brownie mixture into the pan. Bake for about 40 minutes.
  4. Let brownies cool in pan, then cut in pan with a wet sharp knife. (Using a wet, sharp knife was a new trick for me and it works great!)
Notes
  1. ***I sprinkled some powdered sugar over the top just before cutting them, just to make ‘em pretty!
Sweet Treats & More http://sweettreatsmore.com/

Comments

1. says

Well…I made the brownies…and they were amazing. I have a few left and I’m asking my husband to hide them from me. I linked your recipe to my post for today!

2. jenn says

these are the best I didn’t have enough choc chips, only one cup left and so I added 1c. pecans and I found some marshmellow cream and added that. OmG! The best!

3. Anonymous says

One tip for cutting brownies is to use a plastic knife, I read it somewhere years ago, and it works great!! The brownies don’t pull up and make a mess like when using a knife from the silverware drawer!!

4. lisa says

are the brownies suppose to still be wet when u test it with a tooth pick after 40 mins please help me.

• Kristy says

They should be done when they come out mostly clean after the toothpick test, shouldn’t be wet

5. Jessica Loyola says

I am about to bake this recipe for my husband. I’ll let you know if he fell more in love with me after trying these . They sound delish!

6. Martha says

Thank you so much, I had a recipe similar to this and lost it and my family was on the verge of mutiny. I make the even a little more sinful by replacing the oil with 1/2 cup of melted butter. Yummmmm

7. Jessica Loyola says

Hello! Me again! I’m absolutely in love with your brownies! I have a question for you, can I make these as cupcakes? I’m thinking about baking them in cupcake cups but not sure if they will bake differently. What do you suggest! Thank you! :)

8. Bonnie says

Awesome recipe! Remember not to overcook. I cooked it for about 45 min and it was still a tad gooey and took them out anyway and they turned out perfect once they cooled down :)

9. eva says

this is such a good idea! def going to try this with the walnut brownie mix I got, it will surprise the whole family. :)

10. Melany says

I’m going to try this recipe today, my family is dying for some brownies lately. I’m just not the best baker in thee world so I really hope these come out great!

Trackbacks