Minty Chocolate Mousse Brownies

On Tuesday night we drove to Denver, Colorado to spend Christmas with my husband’s family. We woke up this morning to about seven inches of snow!  There are a few last minute things I need to do to get ready for Christmas, but today, is gonna have to be a snow day.

Speaking of last minute things to do before Christmas, making these brownies should probably be on your list!  I’m not even sure they can be classified as brownies.  You see that thick layer of chocolate mousse over that thin layer of fudgy brownie?  Yeah, that hardly makes them just brownies.

Did I mention they are full of Andes Creme de Menthe baking chips?  Like chalk full of them.  They’re in the mousse layer and melted over the top. And then ya might as well sprinkle some more over the top too!

I hope you like very minty, moussie, brownies….

We do…

Minty Chocolate Mousse Brownies
Ingredients
  1. 1 Box Betty Crocker Original Supreme brownie mix (with chocolate syrup pouch)
  2. 1/3 c. water
  3. 1/3 c. vegetable oil
  4. 2 eggs
  5. 3/4 c. whipping cream
  6. 1 c. Andes Creme de Menthe Baking Chips
  7. 3 eggs
  8. 1/3 c. sugar
  9. Topping: 1/3 c. Andes Creme de Menthe baking chips + a handful more for sprinkling over the top.
Instructions
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of a10-inch spring-form pan with shortening. Make brownie mix as directed on box, using the water, oil, and the 2 eggs listed here. Spread evenly in spring form pan.
  2. In a 2-quart saucepan, heat whipping cream and 1 c. Andes Creme De Menthe chips over medium heat, stirring constantly until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.
  3. In another bowl, beat 3 eggs and sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until foamy; stir into chocolate mixture. Pour the chocolate mixture evenly over brownie batter in pan.
  4. Bake for about 1 hour and 5 minutes or until the top is set. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
  5. In a microwave safe bowl, melt about 1/3 cup Andes Creme de Menthe chips, stirring in 15 second intervals, until chocolate is melted. Drizzle melted chocolate over the brownies. Sprinkle more Creme de Menthe chips over the top if desired.
  6. Run a metal spatula around side of dessert to loosen; remove side of spring form pan. Serve at room temperature, or cover tightly and refrigerate until chilled.
Notes
  1. **you can use a rectangular pan and cook for about 45 minutes.
  2. **if using a dark or non-stick 9X13inch pan bake at 325.
Adapted from Betty Crocker
Adapted from Betty Crocker
Sweet Treats & More http://sweettreatsmore.com/

Comments

1. Anonymous says

I tried to make these. Burnt disaster! Nothing like mousse. More like soggy burnt cake. Yes that’s possible. I’m looking at it. I must have missed something because the recipe looks great!

• says

I haven’t tried these but reading the recipe, it seems that the oven baking for the brownie portion would be too much for the mousse layer. Wonder if the brownie should be baked first, and then the mousse layer added?

• says

Yeah, I haven’t tried these but have to wonder if the brownie layer shouldn’t be baked before the mousse layer is added? Seems like the oven heat would ruin the mousse.

• Diane says

Unfortunately, mine came out like a soggy sort of cake as well. Read through the recipe a few times to see if we missed something, but it doesn’t appear that we did. Any suggestions?

2. Anonymous says

Just made these and had the same burnt mouse layer result. And I took them out way before the recommended time. Wish I had read these comments first.

• says

I’ve made them so many times and have yet to have a burnt mousse layer! I’m sorry, I wish they’d turned out because they’re incredible.

If you used a rectangular pan cook-time should be about 44 mins, but spring form is about an hr.

• says

Yes, i was concerned about that, too. I noticed you used a spring form pan. I used a pyrex glass dish (11×7) and ran the oven for 50 minutes, watched a movie, came back and they were fine. I DID however have a problem getting the mousse fluffy. For some reason it took longer than normal for the egg/sugar mixture to foam and fluff out so I added the chocolate/whipping cream mixture to foam

3. Anonymous says

I followed the directions exactly, however instead of a mousse layer, the mousse mixture seemed to sink into the brownie mixture and I ended up with really gooey brownies. Good- but not very pretty or easy to cut. What did I do wrong?

• says

Did you use a spring form pan or a rectangular pan? Cook time is a little different for each. I wonder if elevation played a part?? So sorry! The recipe is from Betty Crocker and the instructions are the same aside from adding the mint chips!

4. says

You can do this with any brownie mix; and with regular chocolate chips if you’re a purist (like me). I just used Duncan Hines, and semi-sweet chocolate chips [with a few milk chocolate chips]. It turned out fluffy and delicious!

I recommend about 30 minutes if you’re using a glass pan. And make sure it’s deep enough (mine almost wasn’t)!

5. Anonymous says

Something is truly missing from this recipe.I bake all the time. Can’t find the mousse …disappointing

6. Anonymous says

I just made this and it didn’t turn out. I have a gooey mess. Do you cook the brownies first then add the mousse top and cook again? Because I didn’t cook the brownie first and the mousse just sank.

7. Anonymous says

If your mousse is sinking make sure your chocolate mixture is cool enough before mixing it with the eggs and make sure you mix it slowly or your egg fluff will fall.

8. Anonymous says

I’ve made this recipe twice and both times it was a mess! It went everywhere both times (brand new pan). Then the moose & brownie part mixed together.

If I try it again I won’t use a spring form pan.

I’d really like for this recipe to work…

9. says

These look amazing, and I attempted to make it yesterday. Could you give me an idea on where I went wrong? I mixed up the brownie mix & poured it in the 9×13 pan. Then I mixed up the mousse part and poured that over the unbaked brownie layer. Then I baked it for 45 minutes. My mousse layer somehow mixed with my brownie layer? Because the mousse part completely dissappeared. Any ideas of how I can redo this? They look sooooo amazing!

10. Anonymous says

I made this and the turned out absolutely amazing not sure why people can’t make it. First off you need to use a springform pan this recipe is designed for this. You cannot use a large dish it spreads to much. I used all gardelia products. If using any othe brownie box as I did you follow the box directions and do not use the ingredients listed above for that particular brownie.

Make brownie as directed on box, in 2 quart pans add chocolate and cream I used 8 oz of gardelia baking chocolate make sure it is semi sweet again this matters.

11. Anonymous says

Mix the chocolate and cream in the pan on low heat until creamy put aside. Mix eggs and sugar until foamy and thick took a few minutes if it is to runny your mousse won’t work. Add this to the chocolate until blended don’t over mix. Pour over brownie batter bake for an hour, do not open the oven do not poke the cake this will make it sink. Pour syrup pack over brownies while hot and spread make sure to run packet under hot water first. Then refrigerate for a few hours. If it was burnt or gooey you made it wrong.

12. says

The trouble with this recipe is that the picture makes it look like there’s a rich, mousse-like or cream-like layer on top. There is a rich layer on top, but it’s more cake-like than mousse-like. =\ I kind of anticipated that considering the thing is in the oven for an hour. The bottom layer is also more cake-like then fudgy-brownie-like. What I failed to anticiate was how dry the entire thing would be during that time. I used my spring form, but I forgot to check the cake 10 and 5 minutes before it was supposed to be done.

13. Anonymous says

DId not turn out for me…disappointed since my 10 year was amkig this to complete a GS badge. She was really upset – that hers did NOT look like the picture!

14. artschoolgirl says

The Betty Crocker recipe has some important distinctions that the above directions don’t mention- the oven only needs to be 325 if you’re using a dark pan, and the eggs should be beat on high speed until soft peaks form.

15. Lisa says

Wonder why the recipe asks for little more oil and water the the brownie box? Wish me luck mine are in the oven. Im a little nervous after reading these comments.

16. Kathie says

Could the problems be related to the fact that you are cooking at high altitude, and others are not??? There is a difference in just about everything you bake when at high altitude!

17. says

Wow! These were amazing! I will definitely make them again. I followed the directions exactly, using a springform pan and baking exactly 65 minutes. I wasn’t sure how long to beat the sugar and eggs since “until foamy” was a little vague. I turned the speed up to med/high and it took at least 5 – 7 minutes. I served it in small wedges with a dollop of whipped crème with a whole Andes mint tucked inside. Yum!

18. Nikki says

These were so so so amazing. like others said the layers are not quite as distinct as they shown in the pictures but the taste and textures are definitely there. I baked mine in a 9 by 13 pan for 43 min. But next time will take out at 38 or 39 min. But overall didn’t have any troubles!

Trackbacks