Sour Patch Grapes {Leprachaun Candy}

My sister-in-law Ashley told me about an idea she saw on Pinterest for Sour Patch Grapes.  I went out that day and bought what I needed to try them out:  Green grapes and Green Jello.  Since St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner I thought it was fitting to call them Leprechaun Candy.

I’m not usually one to buy sour candy.  Like at the movies, I never buy the Sour Patch Kids or Mike n Ike’s, I buy the chocolate.  But if someone else buys it I’m constantly snitching some.  If it’s around I eat it up, so I knew I’d like these.  They’re a healthier way to get your candy fix!

These candy grapes are as easy as washing your grapes, rolling them in the jello powder, and letting them chill.  About half way through I got sick of rolling and put the powder in a plastic bag, tossed the grapes in, and shook it until the grapes were completely covered.  Worked great.

I made these later in the evening to let them refrigerate overnight.  However, in the morning when I went to try some I noticed they were half-gone.  We must have a little Leprachaun living with us {or just a hungry husband looking to satisfy his sweet tooth late at night}.

Sour Patch Grapes {Leprachaun Candy}
Ingredients
  1. bunch of Green Grapes
  2. 1 pkg Lime Jello
Instructions
  1. Wash your grapes thoroughly, you want them to be a little wet so the gelatin powder sticks to them.
  2. Place the gelatin powder on a plate and roll grapes into the powder, completely covering. Using two spoons is helpful here. Or you can simply place the powder in a zip lock back, drop a handful of grapes in at a time and shake until covered.
  3. Refrigerate for several hours.
Adapted from PureSugar
Adapted from PureSugar
Sweet Treats & More http://sweettreatsmore.com/

Comments

1. says

Since these are green perfect for St. Paddy’s Day. I use to make these for my kids and daycare kids, and they all loved them. Of course, I used “red” grapes and cherry jello sometimes too. I also freeze them, and they are soooo good on a hot summer day. Sometimes I use the jello, other times I just freeze them. Since my kids and daycare kids are all grown, I still freeze the grapes for me and I just love them!!!!

2. Anonymous says

What a great idea, can’t wait to try. My supermarket has grapes on sale for 88 cents an lb this week. Woo hoo perfect timing!!

3. Anonymous says

My 9 year old made these today and loves them. Very addictive. We put them in the freezer four a couple of hours to cool quicker. My husband does not like grapes, but liked these. Thanks for the great idea!

• Desarae says

Ours were pretty sour. Very similar to a sour patch kid, the first couple bites get the sour glands working but then it just tastes yummy! I didn’t refrigerate mine after making them (we took them to the zoo instead) but the grapes had already been in the fridge so they were cold

4. Anonymous says

These are so yummy and, yes, they disapear fast! I tried both…with cherry jello and with lime jello. I used red seedless grapes on both flavors. So yummy!

5. Anonymous says

I wonder if you could do this with jello and sugar like we used to mix together as kids and dip our fingers in like dip n stix (remember those)? You could control the strength of flavor then I think, mix and match, more variety. I am going to try it and report back!

6. Anonymous says

I made these a few hours ago and to say the least they were AMAZING! These are my new favorite snacks!

7. Anonymous says

I was so excited but then i tried them, and well they just didnt have the sour kick that i love it was way to sweet. i got name brand jello and nice in season grapes too… i was so looking forward to these

8. says

Hi! I found your recipe on Pinterest, and as soon as I read the comments that the grapes don’t have that “zing” that sour patch kids have, I immediately thought KOOL AID!!

I added half a packet of lemonade flavor Kool Aid to the Jello powder before shaking them in the bag, and they taste EXACTLY like sour patch kids!

I had to share since you gave me this great idea!

Enjoy, and thank you!!

9. says

These sound like such a great alternative to Sour Patch Candies which I love so much. I would love to try them with a mixture of different flavoured jellos – maybe Lemon & Raspberry. Have you tried any other than lime you can recommend?

10. Mousejockey72 says

These sound like the perfect snack, I’m diabetic and will make them with sugar free jello, also I love frozen green grapes so these will just be that much better!

11. Lydia says

Hey Kristy!

I work at the ad agency responsible for JELL-O social media and we came across this nifty recipe. We’d love to talk to you about it. Please email me at LTirpak@cpbgroup.com if you’re interested.

Cheers!

Lydia

12. Angela says

Made these today! I used green grapes and Berry Blue Jell-O. I added a bit of citric acid (can be found with the canning supplies at Walmart) to make them sour since that’s what gives Sour Patch Kids their punch. At first, the coating wasn’t that great, but I put them in the fridge for a few hours and the coating became slightly crunchy. Delicious! I also made a batch with red grapes covered in 1/2 pink lemonade mix and 1/2 strawberry Kool-Aid. Those were SUPER sour and they didn’t even have the citric acid added. Just some tips if you’re looking for a truly sour version!

Trackbacks