Okay, is it browned butter or brown butter? I see it used differently all the time and really have no clue which is correct. In my head I think, “well the butter is browned so it should be called browned butter ____ ” ( for whatever it is you’ve made) right? Does it even matter? Whether it’s browned or brown, the butta is goo-ood.
For now, I’m sticking with browned.
I used Smitten Kitchen’s Infinitely Adaptable Blondie recipe and used browned butter and vanilla bean paste in the batter instead of the regular butter and vanilla. It’s a really basic, really easy recipe and you can add any of your favorite mix ins to it. I stuck with chocolate chips, got a little crazy and through in some white chocolate chips too.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- Sift dry ingredients together and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Whisk butter constantly until melted and begins to bubble. Continue to stir until it turns to an amber brown color. Remove from heat and let cool for five minutes.
- Pour butter into the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat in brown sugar, egg, and vanilla bean paste until smooth and creamy. Mix in dry ingredients. Stir in white and chocolate chips.
- Spread into a lightly greased 8X8 inch square pan and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.