You know what I love just as much as I love pumpkin cookies this time of year? Soup! I want soup every chilly fall day we have. And fall here in Utah seems to be getting shorter…and colder. Seriously, I see snow-capped mountains out my window and the weekend is looking gloomy.
Soup is a must!
This Tex Mex BBQ Chicken Soup is a fun spin on your typical chicken taco or chicken tortilla soup. It has all the mexican flavors with a hint of smoky barbecue sauce. Crush some tortilla chips over the top or use your chips as a spoon (that’s what I like to do!)
Bring on the pumpkin, and bring on the soup!
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp crushed red chili pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 (14 oz) canned corn, drained
- 2 large tomatoes chopped (or once can diced tomatoes)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 3 oz queso fresco, crumbled
- 2 limes
- 1. Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Saute onion, garlic, red pepper, jalapeno about 3-4 minutes or until just tender.
- 2. Add chili powder, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper and saute another minute.
- 3. Add chicken, corn, tomatoes, and black beans. Pour in chicken broth and barbecue sauce. Stir to combine and bring to boil. Boil for about 10 minutes.
- 4. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro and a lime wedge in each bowl
- slightly adapted from Cooking Light.