If you love cookies as much as I do, then you’ll love this virtual Christmas Cookie Exchange hosted by some of my favorite bloggers! Basically how it works is a handful of bloggers are sharing their favorite Christmas cookies on each other’s sites. Today, Danelle from Let’s Dish is here sharing her delicious Orange Ginger Pecan Cookies (seriously can’t wait to try them!) and I’m sharing melt-in-your-mouth Candy Cane Meringue Cookies over at Bless This Mess Please.
You’ll want to check out all of the blogs participating in the cookie exchange, you won’t be disappointed! All links are at the end of the post:)
These slice-and-bake shortbread style cookies have just a hint of orange flavor, with chopped pecans and little bits of candied ginger throughout the dough. Yum! Candied ginger is such a fun ingredient to use in holiday baking. These cookies are so easy to make, but they’re also elegant (just what I’m looking for in a holiday cookie) and the sugar crystals on the edges add the perfect sparkly touch!
I like to finely chop the nuts for these cookies. It gives them a taste and texture similar to store-bought pecan shortbread cookies. You can usually find the crystallized ginger in the produce department this time of year, near the selection of holiday nuts and dried fruits–or the “fruitcake section” as I like to call it.
I’m usually a soft cookie person, but I love the crisp texture of these cookies almost as much as I love the orange and ginger flavor combination. My entire family raved about them, and I can’t wait to share them with friends and neighbors. They’re sure to be a unique and welcome addition to your holiday cookie trays too!
An added bonus: they can be made ahead of time and they’ll freeze beautifully.
Be sure to visit all the other blogs participating in today’s cookie exchange. Because you can never have too many cookie recipes!
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 cup decorator sugar crystals
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in orange zest, orange juice, egg and vanilla.
- With mixer on low speed, beat in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in pecans and ginger.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Shape each half into 10-inch log.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the sugar crystals on sheet of plastic wrap or wax paper.
- Roll 1 log in sugar to coat, then wrap log in plastic wrap.
- Repeat with the remaining log and sugar crystals. Refrigerate 3 hours or until very firm.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Unwrap logs and cut dough into 1/4-inch slices.
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 7-10 minutes or until edges just start to brown.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks.
Candy Cane Meringue Cookies shared on Bless This Mess by Sweet Treats and More