This salad reminds me of the short time we spent in San Juan back in February. We had an afternoon before our cruise ship departed just to walk around the town. We wandered into an open courtyard area where there were a few giant mango trees and two men using these long stick-like hooks to pull the mangos down from the trees.
One of the gentlemen picked a few for us and we sat and ate some of the best tasting mangos I’ve ever had. Oh how I wish I could get my hands on one of those mangos now and toss into this yummy summer salad. Mango and chicken, avocado, coconut, and quinoa, all tossed together in a simple honey-lime dressing. It’ll take you somewhere tropical
It’s light, yet filling enough to be a main dish or can be a side salad too. And it’s really easy to throw together when you keep some cooked quinoa and cooked chicken on hand in the fridge!
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cubed
- 1 1/2 cup diced mango
- 1/2 of a large avocado, diced
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tbs chopped green onion
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss quinoa, chicken, mango, avocado, cilantro, onion, and shredded coconut together in a large bowl.
- In a small jar or container whisk together olive oil, fresh lime juice, honey. Pour over salad and toss to coat evenly. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Chill for 1-2 hours before serving.
- Squeeze a little extra fresh lime juice before serving if desired
- Quick prep tip: Keep a bunch of cooked quinoa and cooked chicken on hand so you can toss this salad (or a similar one) together in minutes!
I originally published this recipe on I Heart Nap Time as part of the Hello Summer event!